All works of art in the galleries may be sketched, for non-commercial purposes, providing these rules are followed:
- Individuals wishing to sketch must first obtain permission from the Security Office, located by the Admissions Desk, to be certain they will not obstruct the flow of traffic. Should a security officer determine the galleries are too busy, sketching will not be permitted.
- Only pencil may be used to sketch.
- Size of sketch pad may not exceed 16 x 20 inches.
- No portfolios, containers, or bags may be taken into the galleries.
- Individuals who have been sketching in the galleries should expect to have their sketch pads and drawing supplies searched by the Security Office before they leave the building.
- A reasonable distance must be maintained from the work to allow a clear view for others who may wish to observe the work.
- Never point at a work using your pencil or any other object. Please do not touch the works for any reason.
- Groups and classes must make appointments for sketching in advance through the Education Department, (207) 775-6148, ext. 3228 or email.
Thank you for observing these rules during your visit to the Portland Museum of Art.